Peter Walsh: Getting a Handicap

So I ask a question, “How many of you have played in a golf tournament?”

Not just the charity kind, but maybe one where it is an individual, partner or team event.

We have a great association, the Rhode Island Golf Association (RIGA), that conducts numerous events each year.

They also are the administrators of our national handicap service.

You need a handicap to play in the majority of events.

The new World Handicap System. PHOTO: USGA

I know GolfNewsRI ran a four-part series a short time ago and is a great resource to explain the new handicap System.

You can get an official handicap through most public clubs for a nominal fee.

Getting a handicap and taking part in tournaments will not only give you an idea of how your game holds up under pressure, but I guarantee you will have a great time.

Getting an official handicap from RIGA is the key to playing in those events.

Peter Walsh currently serves as the Head Golf Professional at Kings Crossing Country Club.  Prior to Kings Crossing Walsh was an assistant Golf Professional at Cape May National Golf Club in southern New Jersey under Pro Emeritus Skee Riegal, 1947 US Amateur Champion, 1951 second at Masters to Ben Hogan and Head Golf Professional, Russell O. Davis Philadelphia PGA teacher of the year.

Leave a Reply