Golf Business

Two MA Golf Courses Plan to Open Despite Gov. Baker’s Orders

Two Massachusetts golf courses are planning to defy Governor Charlie Baker’s orders and open. 

Cara Cullen, the owner and manager of Wachusett Country Club and Kettle Brook Golf Club, told Fox News that she will open her courses in the “next few days.” 

Cullen’s courses, which are family run, have been closed since mid-March along with all other courses in the state.

“Basically for five weeks, I’ve sat by watching my family business get destroyed while thousands of golfers have crossed the borders to go to Connecticut and New York, which is causing huge safety concerns. … There’s like 47 states that have opened golf courses. By not opening golf courses, [Baker’s] actually creating a more hazardous condition,” said Cullen.

Massachusetts is one of only three states in the entire country that are disallowing golf at the moment. 

Baker’s ban of non-essential businesses is set to last through at least May 18. 

“If golf is so unsafe, why do 47 states think it’s safe?… I mean, if golf is that unsafe, then Governor Baker should come out and tell these other states that they’re wrong and he should tell Massachusetts citizens that they cannot cross that border,” said Cullen.

Cullen said that her courses will apply social distancing rules including single-use golf carts, no entry to the building, outdoor check-in and more. 

Golf in MA 

As GolfNewsRI reported on Sunday, Massachusetts golf executives “hope to hear soon” that play can resume in the state after meeting with Governor Charlie Baker’s Re-Opening Advisory Board on Saturday. 

AMGO released the following statement on Sunday: 

“A team of AMGO representatives made up of industry leaders, Jesse Menachem (Mass Golf), Mike Higgins (NEPGA), Jennifer O’Connor (NEGCOA member, Nick Marrone (NEGCOA Member), and Don Hearn (GCSANE) had a productive meeting with the Governor’s re-opening advisory board yesterday morning. We hope to hear soon that golf can resume in the Commonwealth under the established guidelines presented. We appreciate the work being done by the advisory board and we look forward to working with them to keep the golf community safe. Updates will be provided as they are made available to us.” 

As GolfNewsRI reported earlier this month, Mass Golf canceled the 111th Massachusetts Open at Taconic Golf Club.

All six Mass Open qualifying events have also been canceled, but any exemptions from this year will carry over and be honored for the 2021 Mass Open.

0 comments on “Two MA Golf Courses Plan to Open Despite Gov. Baker’s Orders

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: