Mass Golf CEO Jesse Menachem says that it is time for the state to allow golf.
Menachem noted that Mass Golf has been in contact with Governor Charlie Baker’s office and has put together a formal packet focusing on the benefits of resuming the game.
“We are ready. We have been working on behalf of you. We want to support you as golfers, as member clubs, as industry representatives. We thank you for that patience, but it’s time to move forward. It’s time to open golf, and we look forward to that in the near future,” said Menachem in a video posted to Mass Golf’s YouTube page.
Massachusetts is one of only five states in the country that is currently disallowing golf, or at least doesn’t have a plan to bring golf back.
Across New England, golf was never shut down in Rhode Island, is allowed in Connecticut and is opening in Maine on Friday, May 1.
“We feel golf in a very safe and measured way can be played as soon as possible. We’ve taken extreme measures to create guidelines, best practices, that our facilities can follow and our golfers can utilize. We find golf as a game of integrity. We know the rules of golf hold true to the game and we know golfers can abide by that. So we look at these guidelines and measures as just another rule of golf to consider,” said Menachem.
MA Potentially Losing Golf Season
As GolfNewsRI reported earlier this month, Mass Golf canceled the 111th Massachusetts Open at Taconic Golf Club.
All six Mass Open qualifying events have also been canceled, but any exemptions from this year will carry over and be honored for the 2021 Mass Open.