Phase III Golf Guidelines for MA Released
The State of Massachusetts has issued Phase III guidance for golf courses and players.
The newest guidance allows for tournaments and shotguns, caddies and shorter tee time intervals.
However, there is no update on golf cart usage, meaning one person to a cart will remain.
“There will be no update to golf cart usage and the language from Phase II will carry over to Phase III. AMGO will continue to work towards and update resolution on this restriction with the Governor’s Administration,” said Mass Golf in a statement.
A summary of the Phase III guidelines are as follows, per Mass Golf:
- New Guidance
- Ensure a sufficient gap between group tee times to allow for social distancing; no minimum
- Caddies and bag handlers are allowed, provided social distancing is maintained, cloth face coverings and gloves are worn, and hand
sanitizer is used. Encourage caddies and bag handles to wipe down clubs and other equipment after each use
- Tournaments and other events (such as “shotgun style” events) must follow EEA guidance for tournaments, available on the EEA Reopening Site (coming soon)
- All shared and rental equipment, such as clubs, must be cleaned and disinfected after each use
- Use single-use scorecards and pencils
- Golfers may remove face coverings where they can easily, continuously, and measurably maintain at least 6 feet of distance from
players and other persons present; instruct players that they must wear face coverings when they are unable to remain a distance of
6 feet from others
- Carried Over From Phase II
- Require customers to reserve tee times in advance
- Notify golfers that flag sticks must remain in the hole. Hole liners must be raised or otherwise adjusted so that players do not reach
into the hole to retrieve a ball
- Encourage golfers to walk or use a push cart, but allow golf carts to be used only if each cart is used by and contains only a single
rider or a group of golfers living in the same house. Golf carts and push carts must be cleaned and sanitized after each use
- Use of driving range, putting green and other practice facilities must follow social distancing protocols and must require use of
masks or face coverings
- Other Guidance
- Restaurants: Must follow the latest restaurant guidance
- Bars: Must remain closed until Phase 4
- Gyms/Locker rooms: Must follow the latest health club and fitness center guidance
- Pro shops: Must follow the latest retail guidance