BREAKING: No Fans at Memorial Tournament

The PGA Tour has announced that there will be no fans at next week’s Memorial Tournament in Ohio. 

There will be no fans at Memorial. PHOTO: Ryan Schrieber/Flickr Commons

This comes despite previous plans to have fans at the tournament, and be one of the first sports to have fans in attendance. 

“We applaud the leadership, diligence and partnership it took from Jack Nicklaus, Dan Sullivan, the entire Memorial Tournament staff and State, County and City leadership to build a solid plan that would allow for limited fan attendance at next week’s event,” said PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan in a statement. 

He added, “But given the broader challenges communities are facing due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we need to stay focused on the No. 1 priority for our Return to Golf — the health and safety of all involved.  While this was a difficult decision, it was one made collectively, and we are appreciative of the process undertaken to this point that will allow us to welcome on-site fans when the time is right.  In the meantime, we have no doubt that the Memorial Tournament will once again be an incredible championship and deliver the best competitive environment for our players and utmost entertainment to our fans around the world.”

The Memorial Tournament is set to take place from July 14 to July 19. 

Previously Approved Plans 

As GolfNewsRI reported, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine approved a plan back in mid-June to have fans on site at a 20 percent capacity. 

Fans were going to be limited as to where they could stand and how many could gather in one spot. There was also going to be temperature checks for fans upon entry. 

Since that time, Ohio has seen a spike in coronavirus cases. 

“I know it was a difficult decision to make, but the organizers of the Memorial Tournament have put the health and safety of players and fans first,” said DeWine in a statement. 

Leave a Reply